Reflection on Social Media Case 8: Pastor's 10% to God

In America, tipping your server is just an expectation of society. Servers make low wages and completely rely on tips to help them pay for their lives, whether that be putting themselves through college or paying for their family financially they rely on the tips from their great service. 

In this week's particular case, a customer, Pastor Bell, at an Applebee's restaurant shut down automatic tipping for the group she was with. Usually, if the group is over 6, companies add an automatic tip to make sure that servers get paid accurately, because it is a larger group. However, Pastor Bell refused to tip and said "I give God 10% why do you deserve 18%?", that is harsh. 




Once Pastor Bell and her group left the table, a server caught a glimpse of this and posted it on social media. He said, "My mistake sir, I'm sure Jesus will pay for my rent and groceries.", and from there Pastor Bell was roasted by over 4,000 people for her actions of simply not paying $6.29. She ordered that all employees of Applebee's be fired for damaging her reputation. However, it wouldn't be damaging her reputation if she didn't act out and put a bad taste about religion in people's mouths. This is a reaction to her action, and now it is coming back to bite her in the butt. 

This case is about more than just the $6.29 that wasn't paid, it is about values, beliefs and the principle of the matter. This case makes me wonder, did Pastor Bell think about what she was doing before she wrote this? And if she claims to be a Pastor of God, was this action very Christlike? If she is a woman of God like she claims to be, she knows that serving others and helping out your neighbor are basic beliefs of Christianity. She most likely would have overtipped, just to help out the waiter trying to make a living. Her action was rude, inconsiderate and clearly not thought through. 

Overall, I think Pastor Bell got what she deserved. She is not practicing what she is preaching, which anger's me deeply and I'm sure it angers others as well. 

Comments

  1. Good job Erin! I completely agree that Pastor Bell got what she deserved. I think it was completely disrespectful for her to write what she did on the receipt. And I completely disagree with the fact that the waitress got fired for what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Erin! I also thought that Pastor Bell definitely got what she deserved in respect to her reputation. I think that it was rude of her to say what she said on the receipt, I also thought what you said was interesting about how this situation made God have a bad taste in others mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog post! I totally agree that what she did contradicted what a pastor should do. I agree that what she wrote was very rude, but I also think that it's very rude that she didn't even tip at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Social Media Case 6: Basketball Cop

Reflection on Social Media Case 9: Ponderize

Will 5G service revolutionize the future?